Sunday, June 11, 2017

Sort of Raw Overnight Coconut Oats

I've been seeing recipes for overnight oatmeal float around Pinterest as a wonder food for several years now but never tried it before. When I was explaining how the concept works to my grandfather the thing that startled him was "you don't cook the oatmeal!?" Nope, this is cold soaked oatmeal, I'm pretty sure the ingredient list doesn't qualify it as a "raw" recipe but there is zero heat in the cooking process. You weigh everything out, mix it in a jar, shake it up and let it sit overnight in the fridge. The hardest part is measuring tiny amounts in grams (2 grams chia seeds, 3 grams flax meal).
Before Cold Soaking
After Cold Soaking 
I figured an extra gram of an ingredient would be fine. I wasn't sure how I'd like it going in, but it worked out really well. The oats retain their shape and soak up the coconut & almond milks in the recipe for a nice texture and the healthy add-ins (chia seeds & flax meal) blend into the background. As the prospect of too many hot summer days stretches out before me, cold oatmeal is looking better and better.


Difficulty Level: Easy
Will It Get Made Again? Yes, this is one of those recipes that you thank yourself for making when you open the fridge the in the morning and realize it's there. 

3 comments:

  1. Interesting. I have seen overnight soaking prior to cooking - my Scottish uncle does that, and he makes the best oatmeal. I haven't seen it without cooking afterward. I doubt my uncle uses rolled oats, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah the cold soaking trend seems to have popped up in the past couple of years, the oatmeal technique pops up on a lot of easy grab and go breakfast lists. Cold soaking also works really well for iced tea. You take 4-5 bags of a favorite tea, put them in a pitcher of water and refrigerate it overnight. Super easy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've done the tea! That works very well.

    ReplyDelete

A Nitro Finish (Cream Whipper Chocolate Mousse 100/100)

My first post for this project was in April of 2017. It's finishing in September of 2019. I wanted to close with dessert to celebrate th...