Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Bake Sales for World Domination (Lacquered Bacon)

Every year my dad and I go to a convention called WisCon. Among other things WisCon is the original home of the Tiptree Award, which was founded by a group that made their motto "Bake Sales for World Domination". They do hold a bake sale every year as part of the fundraising for the Tiptree Award. I have been contributing to the bake sale for many years; highlights include the year I sent the Quick-After-Battle-Triple-Chocolate Cake from the Book of Enchantments*, the year I sent the Root Beer Float Cake**, and now Lacquered Bacon.
Bacon Before Baking
I did have to make an adaption to make the bacon. The recipe calls for Muscovado sugar, which neither my local megamart or yuppie co-op had on their shelves. After some googling (as I stood in front of the collection of stuff at the store, bless mobile internet) I determined that Sucanat was a close enough cousin that I subbed that rather than keep chasing the Muscovado.
Piggy Candy


I had intended to get a picture of the bacon in with all the other baked goods at the bake sale, but by the time I actually got there I was informed that A) it was long gone & B) they would like more next year. Among carnivores this is a definite crowd-pleaser.

Difficulty Level: Easyish
Will It Get Made Again? I already have two requests to make it again (one from a family friend who did not manage to snag any of it at the bake sale) so yes.

*This cake recipe is related to short story in the book. The recipe is both hilarious to read and tasty when made. Directions include "Hack up a chunk of chocolate with your second best sword" among other gems.
** I had three separate people track me down to get this recipe the year I sent it to the bake sale. However my best brand of root beer extract was discontinued and it's been on hiatus from the rotation while I try to come up with a comparable product to reproduce it with the right depth of root beer flavor.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Glad you liked it too! There were definitely a few pieces that didn't make it out of my kitchen. (Quality control checks)

      Delete

A Nitro Finish (Cream Whipper Chocolate Mousse 100/100)

My first post for this project was in April of 2017. It's finishing in September of 2019. I wanted to close with dessert to celebrate th...