Saturday, May 20, 2017

Always Perfect Oatmeal and Rantings on Salt

The oatmeal in EveryDayCook is actually the first recipe I tried from the book after I got it. I was pleasantly surprised by how much adding some quinoa to it improves it; the quinoa gives a nutty flavor and a bit of textural contrast to oatmeal that got me to up my oatmeal consumption from virtually never to occasionally. Especially on cold, rainy weekend mornings.
That being said, salt. This recipe as written in the first edition of EveryDayCook calls for 7 grams of salt for 2 servings. I sanity checked that before making it and am not alone, it's one of the corrections listed here and still has more salt than I'm using. Seriously people, salt is good, but not this much in this dish.
7 grams

Since I blithely added way to much salt the Buttermilk Lassi by following the directions I'm wondering if Alton has had too much salt over the years and his taste buds are dulled to it in some cases.
This is how much I actually used.
<1 gram
Perfect for my house.


Difficulty Level: Easy
Will It Get Made Again? Yes


1 comment:

A Nitro Finish (Cream Whipper Chocolate Mousse 100/100)

My first post for this project was in April of 2017. It's finishing in September of 2019. I wanted to close with dessert to celebrate th...