Thursday, May 18, 2017

Stress Baking (Blueberry Pound Cake)

After one especially frustrating day in college I went home and crankily whipped up a batch of my aunt Susan's Pecan Sandies because I wanted a cookie. Later, as I was sitting down with warm cookies and hot tea I was trying to figure out why I felt so much better. The first thing I realized was that the smell mattered, there's nothing quite like having your kitchen smell like freshly baked treats. The second component for me is concrete creation, a kind of magic in transforming raw ingredients into something wonderful. All of which make baking a tasty form of therapy on a bad day. Which brings me to Blueberry Pound Cake.
I made this on a not particularity awesome day which had been part of a depressing week. If I could share the glory of the smell of it baking in oven on a stormy night I would. Since I can't there's just a standard picture. This cake made me feel a bit better about the world.

I took several pieces into work with me the next day to share as a team treat where it met with universal praise. It has an excellent flavor and texture, with the blueberries scattered throughout the dough and slight crunchy layer on the outside that is coming from the sugar the recipe has you sprinkle in the pan as part of the pan prep.

Difficulty Level: Medium
Will It Get Made Again? Yes (possibly by request of some of the people I fed the first one to)

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Nitro Finish (Cream Whipper Chocolate Mousse 100/100)

My first post for this project was in April of 2017. It's finishing in September of 2019. I wanted to close with dessert to celebrate th...