Monday, September 24, 2018

Cider House Fondue

When one of my friends decided to throw a fall themed dinner party, I took it as a sign that it was time to make a smoked apple fondue. Enter the origami smoke flower.
The smoke "flower"
The smoking procedure here calls for turning a wok into a smoker by sticking a foil packed of wood chips in it (the foil gets folded origami style to make a wood chip container), stacking on a grill grate, and then sealing it. I wasn't sure how well this work, but it's pretty simple (if you have the equipment) and was very effective. The kitchen had a nice smoky apple smell after they had cooked.
Ironically, I used the grate from indoor smoker, just not the rest of the smoker for this.
Then you pulverize cheese (cheddar and velveeta), half & half, applejack, and a dash cayenne. Interestingly, there's no major heating element. The cheese is being melted by the food processor. 
I heated it a bit more for the party, but can confirm that it stays spreadable without a lot of heat.
Someone had to sample right away before I grabbed the photo.

Difficulty Level: Medium

Will It Get Made Again? My crew didn't find it addictive, so probably not. It was liked but not loved by all who tried it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Nitro Finish (Cream Whipper Chocolate Mousse 100/100)

My first post for this project was in April of 2017. It's finishing in September of 2019. I wanted to close with dessert to celebrate th...